Let them eat cake!!

Good Morning Everyone!
I hope you are all well and having a good week so far. It's Jane here today with a card made with one of my favourite new stamps from this month's Fairy Glen release called 'Let them eat cake'. It is my favourite as it features the adorable Delia and a HUGE cake, yum! I have made the cake into a chocolate cake (my favourite!!) and coloured the image using Promarkers and Flexmarkers.

I have used Echo Park papers and some gorgeous gingham paper from Pink Petticoat and layered all the papers and the image onto some gorgeous pink card. I love using bright colours and it can sometimes be hard to know which colours to use together when putting together a card so I thought I would try and explain how I chose the colours I used on my card and to bring my image to life.

My starting point for this card was this gorgeous Echo Park paper. I knew I wanted to use something bright and fun with cakes on and this seemed the perfect choice.



I then looked at the different colours in the paper to choose a coordinating card to mat and layer my papers onto. I chose the darker pink as when I first looked at the patterned paper, this was the colour my eye was drawn to first. I had some gingham in the paler pink in my stash which was lovely and girly so I chose this as my second paper. The reverse of the paper was next as, of course, the yellow picks out the yellow on the cupcakes as it matches perfectly. After I had matted and layered all the pieces, I stitched through with some bright pink to tie in with the plain cardstock.

I choose colours from the backing paper to colour Delia's clothes, the blue matches in with some of the cupcake detail as does the green and purple and I used blossom pink and bright pink to tie in the cardstock and gingham. Delia's hair coordinates with the yellow heart paper. I then added embellishments in coordinating colours. By using colours in the same tones that are in the patterned paper I know they will work together and I am not afraid to use lots of bright colours as I know they will not clash.

I always select my papers and try to figure out a layout before colouring my image as I find this a much easier way rather than colouring and then trying to find paper to match and I find doing it this way really works well for me. I would be really interested to read how you go about putting your cards together, how do you get started on your design? Do you colour your images in first and then make up your cards or do you select your papers and embellishments? Please leave a comment and let me know if you would like to share your method on making cards with your favourite Sugar Nellie stamps.
Have a great Wednesday!
Jane
x

4 comments:

crafty amy said...

Awe Jane she is just so adorable! I LOVE the bright colours and that cake looks good enough to eat :D

Hugs

Amy xx

Pat said...

Gorgeous Jane! I am patiently waiting for my order to be delivered....well, maybe no so patiently! hehehe! Great post...it's always fun to see how other designers come up with their cards!! Hugs. Pat Frank

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

i adore this cutie and those papers are lush Jane. Fab creation

Ali x

Paula (PEP) said...

This is so instructive - thank you for taking the time to describe the process. I love the way you have used gingham paper & also gingham ribbon. I've been selecting papers & then colouring for some time & kept wondering when I read of people sitting colouring images which are then made into cards at a later date........still lots to learn for me about what will work but you really encouraged me to persevere in finding my own way.
Paula (PEP)